How does Keto Diet Help Get Rid of Abdominal Obesity?
Abdominal obesity a.k.a. central obesity – the condition characterized by excessive abdominal fat surrounding the stomach and abdomen is likely to have an ill effect on a person’s health. Not only is it associated with a higher risk of disease-specific morbidity and mortality but it is also a very good predictor of cardiovascular disease risk.
Getting rid of abdominal fat is one of the most common weight loss goals people have for both well-being and to improve one’s physical appearance. There are several weight-loss strategies that people use to target belly fat and fat accumulation in any other body part. Cutting down carbs and indulging in a low-carb diet like the ketogenic diet can help you reduce your abdominal fat.
Several studies have demonstrated that low carb diets result in 2-3 times more weight loss compared to low-fat diets.
How does a low carb diet help get rid of abdominal fat?
Low carb diets could lead to reductions in water weight. And this helps people achieve quicker results. More often, people on a low-carb diet might notice differences within a couple of days. Several researchers have pointed out that indulging in a low carb diet specifically reduces abdominal fat and fat accumulation around those organs and liver.
In fact, studies that compared low-carb and low-fat diets have revealed that low carb eating specifically reduces belly fat.
- When you reduce your carb intake, it helps reduce your insulin levels and in turn, helps burn stored fat away. Studies have shown that individuals who indulged in ketogenic diets have burnt almost 10 times more fat compared to those who didn’t.
- When you do not consume carbohydrates, your body uses stored fat for fuel even when the body is at rest. Typically, fat-burning happens when one fasts or during exercise. But while on a ketogenic diet, you will actually burn away fat 24/7.
- While on a ketogenic diet, your body goes into a state of ketosis which helps curb cravings and reduce your hunger. Not only does this help create calorie deficit but the results are also long-term and effortless. Studies have demonstrated that people who were on a ketogenic diet experienced appetite suppression and were less hungry and exhibited greater satiety.
- A well-formulated keto diet plan also offers great anti-inflammatory effects which in turn helps you drop stubborn belly fat. Not only does ketosis convert your body into a fat-burning machine, but it also helps improve your metabolism and up your energy levels.
- Increased protein intake is yet another reason why a low-carb diet is more effective than a low-fat one when it comes to weight reduction and getting rid of belly fat.
- Even though spot reduction can be quite challenging, when you indulge in a low-carb diet like the keto diet, the visceral fat in your belly which gets easily inflamed can be easily dropped. Keto diets work very efficiently in eliminating stubborn belly fat.
Nutritional ketosis might not be the only way to achieve belly fat reduction and weight loss. However, keto works very well when you combine them with regular physical activities like high-intensity interval training. Although a keto diet is quite safe for most healthy individuals, it is common to experience certain side effects while your body adapts to the new lifestyle change. You can ease your way into keto to minimize these side effects. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you consult with your healthcare provider before you begin any new diet regimen.
Image courtesy: rawpixel.com